Based in Seattle, WA
Not yet announced
PC / Mac / Linux
DescriptionDistance is a survival racing game that combines the intense action of arcade racing with the exploration of an atmospheric world. You control a unique car that allows you to boost, jump, rotate, and even fly through a chaotic and mysterious city. The game is a spiritual successor to the multi-award winning Nitronic Rush created while attending DigiPen Institute of Technology.
On 11/11/11 Team Nitronic (a game team from DigiPen) unleased upon the world an over-the-top arcade racing game called Nitronic Rush. It eventually was downloaded well over a million times as it spread to over 150 different countries. After graduating from DigiPen a few of the other developers on Nitronic Rush took jobs in the AAA game industry, but when looking at what the Refract team wanted to do next they concluded that they're too passionate about making independent games to stop now. That's when they turned down AAA job offers, started their own studio, and focused on Distance.Spiritual Succession
The team tossed around a few ideas of what project they wanted to work on next, and they always seemed to come back to arcade racing. There are very few developers working on arcade racing games, let alone any small indie teams, so the team saw it as a unique opportunity to push the genre. After learning a ton from creating Nitronic Rush, the team is really excited to create a spiritual successor that will blow away the original. Since DigiPen owns Nitronic Rush, the team is starting from scratch to build a more much expansive experience.
- Intense arcade-style racing action, taking place in an atmospheric world
- Your vehicle has the ability to boost, jump, rotate any way you like, and even fly, which leads to an endless number of racing possibilities
- Full-tilt multiplayer with LAN and Online play. Includes several modes, such as Classic Race, Tag, Capture The Flag, Stunt mode, Exploration mode, and many others
- The world has a backstory of its own, so exploration to discover the city's history is highly encouraged. The team is taking their experiences from creating atmospheric games like Solace and Solstice, and injecting those undertones into Distance
- Dynamic soundtrack composed by Jordan 'TORCHT' Hemenway, the musician behind many experimental music-driven games like Solace, Solstice, and Nitronic Rush
- Powerful but user-friendly level editor and modding tools, where you can create levels from inside the game and share them with players around the world
Distance Alpha Gameplay Experiments YouTube
Awards & Recognition
Distance has not received any awards or recognitions yet. Please check back later to see if things change.
- "Being part of an independent studio doesn’t mean letting go of big ideas. One team is challenging the distinctions between indie and triple-A game quality in its approach to development."
- Stephanie Carmichael, VentureBeat
- "The themes of Nitronic are repeated here – gravity-defying racing on impossible tracks, this time far more pretty, along with multiplayer, and driving upside down, like in real life."
- John Walker, Rock, Paper, Shotgun
- "Last year the impossible happened: Nitronic Rush dethroned San Francisco Rush 2049 for being the best futuristic racer with "Rush" in the title. Now the developer is going to do a retail victory lap with spiritual successor Distance"
- Allistair Pinsof, Destructoid
Request Press Copy
Please fill in your e-mail address below and we'll get back to you as soon as a press copy is available for you.
Alternatively, you can always request a press copy by sending us a quick email.
Refract is a small Seattle-based independent studio. We make interactive art.
More information on Refract, our logo & relevant media are available here.