Based in Seattle, WA
September 18th, 2018 (v1.0)
Windows, Mac, Linux, PS4
Distance is an atmospheric racing platformer. Fusing futuristic arcade racing with parkour, survive a deadly, mysterious, neon-drenched city by jumping, rotating, and flying. The roads are treacherous with obstacles around every corner. Instead of doing laps on a loop, survive to the end in the quickest time. Your car has abilities that not only allow you to drive on the track, but upside down and on buildings and walls. You can also fly to discover new shortcuts and paths. Take on the roads alone, or in multiplayer with your friends.
The game is a spiritual successor to the multi-award winning Nitronic Rush, created by ourselves and 5 others at DigiPen Institute of Technology. It was widely praised for its innovative mechanics, visual style, audio design, and atmosphere.
- Adventure: Mysterious single-player narrative experience.
- Arcade: Unlock 100+ tracks by earning medals in modes like Sprint, Reverse Tag, Stunt, and Challenge.
- Online and Split-Screen: Race with up to 12 players online and 4 players locally.
- Trackmogrify: Random track generation with seed modifiers.
- VR: Full Oculus CV1 and HTC Vive integration.
- Unlockables: Unlock new car skins and cheat options by completing achievements.
- Powerful Level Editor: Connected to Steam Workshop (2,500+ user-created levels already available).
- Original Soundtrack: From Jordan Hemenway, the composer of Nitronic Rush and Solace.
- And more secrets yet to be unveiled...
Distance - Launch Trailer YouTube
Distance - Release Announcement Trailer YouTube
Distance – The Radical Update YouTube
Distance – The Ghost Update YouTube
Distance – The Creativity Update YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "MomoCon Indie Awards Winner" Distance, 2017
- "SideQuesting Team Choice Award (PAX East)" Distance, 2017
- "Curse Best Racing Game (PAX West)" Distance, 2015
- "BigSushi.fm Golden Sushi of Sophistication (PAX West)" Distance, 2014
- "A Racing Game I'm Actually Really Excited About"
- Nathan Grayson, Kotaku
- "Videos and words don’t really do justice to Distance. It may be the most instantly exciting, absorbing game I’ve played all year."
- Rob Zacny, PCGamesN
- "It's rare that a racing game will fully command my attention, but Distance was difficult to ignore in the PAX Indie Megabooth."
- Kyle Hilliard, GameInformer
- "Arcade to the core, leave now if heavy car tuning, standard racing or anything remotely realistic is what you are wanting, because Distance about to blow your face off."
- Owen Hibbert, Entertainment Buddha
Request Press Copy
Please fill in your e-mail address below to complete a distribute() request and we'll get back to you as soon as a press copy is available for you.
Distance Kickstarter Campaign
Distance was successfully funded on Kickstarter in the fall of 2012 thanks to the help of over 4,000 backers! kickstarter.com.
Steam Greenlight Page
Distance was also greenlit on Steam thanks to the enthusiastic Steam community. steamcommunity.com.
Our goal at Refract is to expand the emotional spectrum of interactive experiences. Through artistically crafting experiences that are personal to us, we aim to share something new that intellectually and emotionally resonates with our players.
More information on Refract, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Creative Director, Composer
Artist, Level Designer
Artist, Level Designer